Thursday, June 17, 2010

Final Project

My idea is sparked from a thematic unit I helped to create at the end of my junior year, just a few months ago. I wanted to take the issues and ideas further and it has been a snowball effect of ideas since taking this class. Regarding the unit, I compiled ideas about body image, sexuality, and identity into a five week thematic unit. I was intrigued to see the strong influences region, culture, and socioeconomic status (among other things) had on these facets of a human body/personality.
After watching Kilbourne’s “Killing Us Softly” I realized I could branch off on the ideas she had pertaining to the objectification of women, and also the ideas about men stemming from Katz’s “Tough Guise.” The documentaries helped me to realize that women are often seen as objects rather than women, which often develops into physical abuse and violence. After all, it can’t be shameful to abuse a body part rather than a person. The opposition to this argument though can be that men are developed into violent, alpha male beings and are expected to react to women violently.
My aim is to research the topic further and how it will be relevant to my one day students. I would like to look at statistics on abuse among high school aged girls, as well as how often they are misrepresented as objects in media and culture. I will then have a better grasp on this topic and its relation to high schoolers. I want to conduct research that will help me get a broader knowledge on why this type of image in being enabled.
To take this idea further, I could add to and reconstruct some of the unit I was developing before and create lesson plans I could use in a classroom. I could also find literature that helps to portray the objectification of women. I can’t imagine it will be hard when students will see it at every newsstand and on TV. The lesson plans that I create will educate my students on the truth or non-truth behind these images and how they affect who we are.
My goal for such a unit and lessons is that it would educate students on what is going on around. So often, ignorance is perpetuated because a population is ill-informed or not informed at all. After reading literature and examining pictures, etc. regarding body image of women and men I would like for my students to create platforms that would be a possibility to ending this objectification. With all of the students presenting their ideas at the end of the unit, hopefully a better understanding of the topic will make a difference in the future of this issue.

3 comments:

  1. Brittany,

    This is a wonderful project idea and so incredibly important, as it is so often overlooked in schools. The idea that you could someday take this idea into your classroom and really put it to use is empowering and fills me with hope. I just read the article for class entitled “Body Image: Third Wave Feminism’s Issue?” and this particular quote stood out to me: “…while lipstick and nail polish aren’t feminist concerns, the right to choose—or not to choose—them is.” I think this is a wonderful point that you could highlight in your lesson plans as a kind of “bottom line” message: whatever it is that you decide to do with your body, and however you decide to express yourself, it must be your choice, and a choice influenced not by ideals of society or other people, but your own ideals. I just thought of an idea: as a project, you could have students write a poem or some kind of other genre of writing describing why they express themselves the way they do. Humans love to talk about themselves, especially kids, and I know for me, the more I talk and write, the more I learn. It could be a cool way for kids to “defend” their expressive style, or it could be an outlet for painful experiences. They could choose to present it to the class or not; remember, the choice is important!

    Of course, you don’t have to use this idea – I’m just excited about your project, and it really got me thinking! You will be a great teacher! ☺

    <3 LFo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    Thank you so much for this fabulous idea, because of it I am going to do a "Where I'm From" body image spin-off poem. I appreciate your thoughts, excitement, and personal investment :)!

    ReplyDelete